Photo Credit and Photo Copyright

The photographs of San Antonio and Dignowity Hill used within this blog are the property of Juan A Garcia East Light Images. All rights are reserved to the owner. Copy and use of these pictures is forbidden without written permission. Contact Juan at jagarciatx@gmail.com for permission.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Changing Times

From the top of Dignowity Park looking west you can see just about all of downtown San Antonio. Our neigborhood is so close to the city that we can walk into town in less than 20 minutes. Within walking distance of our house, a downtown transformation is occurring. Streets are being fixed up, new lighting has been installed and a general clean up of the Eastside has begun to take place. All in an efort to attract more tourist to the area....which is a good thing. To the northeast of our neighborhood and less than a 10 minute drive is Ft. Sam Houston, an Army post with a long and colorful history with San Antonio. The post is undergoing a huge transformation as it readies for the arrival of close to 12,000 military and civilian staff that are being moved to Ft. Sam beginning in 2009 as part of the BRAC 2005 realignment. Since the military is not buiding any new housing for these folks many of them will be looking for affordable housing outside of the post. Our neighborhood is surrounded by ongoing change and transformation. The big question for me and my neighbors is how will our neighborhood be impacted by all of this change and impending transformation? Will newcomers to San Antonio look to Dignowity Hill as a place to live? Will it change the character of the neigborhood? Is this good or bad? Will gentrification take over and force some of our residents out? So many unanswered questions. One thing I believe is that no matter how this change will affect us we must begin to collectively take ownership of the way we think about ourselves and our neighborhood. Good or bad, image is everything and what we present to the world makes a lasting impression. For example, when my wife and I go for our walks around the neighborhood I'm dismayed by the litter and trash that we often see in the streets and in some of my neighbors yards. Before anyone thinks about moving into our neighborhood we must begin to be good stewards of what we own and where we live. Ok, I really don't to want to be preaching here but think about it this way: if we don't care enough to keep our streets and yards clean then why would anyone care enough to consider our neighborhood as a place to visit or move to and live?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juan, My husband and I love your blog. I know your home! Pete Aidinian, Donna's fiance, works with me and told me to drive by your home which I have done numerous times now. My husband and I have purchased at the Vidorra. (We have remodeled for many years in areas of regentrification in urban Houston and are ready to relax. Ha!)

I have dear friends who will probably buy in Dignowity and I have driven them by your wonderful home. I mentioned to Pete that I would love to get all of us together for dinner and visit about all that is going on in the east end. We believe in the neighborhood and having been a Realtor in urban Houston for many years, I know how rapidly things can change in urban areas.

Best wishes to you and Barb and I hope to meet you soon. We did see you in the yard a couple of weeks ago. :-) Janie Thelen

Unknown said...

Hi Janie
Would love to meet you and your husband. Would also like to visit with you and get your thoughts from a realtor perpective. Tell Pete or Donna to get in contact with Barb at her work and we'll figure out a good time to get together. If you see us in the yard, please stop by. Juan